Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Possible Sotrybook Topic Ideas

Sita: I adore Sita in this epic. She is the epitome of kindness and affection and purity. I admire Sita, for the way she tended to her husband Rama, but also for the way she abstained from Ravana's desires while she was in captivity. It breaks my heart the way Rama treated her, Sita proved her innocence to her husband time and time again, and yet he sent his pregnant wife into exile and she raised his two sons until they were fifteen. Throughout the entire thing Sita was pure and kind and is my favorite character of this entire epic
Research so far: Obviously, I have read about Sita in the context of The Ramayana, and I have also read the source provided on the India Epics website. I am excited to read more about her!

Sita in the Fire
Web Source

Sexism in The Ramayana: I think this would be a fascinating topic to discuss, however I do not know if it is really appropriate for a storybook project. However, as I was reading The Ramayana it struck me how many times sexism and male bias presented itself blatantly. For one, Sita is the epitome of a good and loyal wife, and she is exiled for fifteen years just because her husband cannot get over his jealousy. Ahalya is raped by the god Indra and is turned to stone for her "transgressions". I would love to look at this epic in from the perspective of a modern educated young woman.
Research so far: Like I said, I have documented numerous cases of male bias already in the actual epic. I would like to read the second version of the Ramayana and see if the same male bias is present. I also have read two essays considering sexism in the Ramayana, and there does seem to be some argument there.

Karma: The idea of Karma as a mystical entity has always fascinated me. It is one of the few Hindu beliefs that I am familiar with, and even then I do not know much about it. I would love to write stories based on Karma, not only in how it affects future actions but in how past actions and lives can affect future actions. I could write endless stories on this.
Research: I have read the source provided on the Indian Epics website and also read the Wikipedia post on Karma

Kaikeyi and Dasaratha: I think it would be fascinating to explore the relationship between the king and his favorite wife. I would like to flesh out how it came into existence, and how it ended so violently. Kaikeyi ended up bringing Dasaratha to his demise, and this is such a passionate and violent relationship. There is so much to explore them
Research: I have read the Wikipedia pages on both Dasaratha and Kaikeyi as well as google searched the couple

1 comment:

  1. So since I have already commented on your introduction I thought I would comment on another one of your posts. I really liked all of your possible storybook topics. I know that many of those would make a really interesting storybook to read. I thought it was interesting that you thought of sexism in the Ramayana. I also agree I saw many instances in the book where this was seen. Good job not focusing on common themes, but looking into different ones!

    ReplyDelete