Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites


The first storybook that caught my attention was The Tales of Dr. Love by Dillon Duke. I thought the title was interesting and that is what drew me to investigate the storybook. The first thing I noticed when reading the introduction was how engaging it was. It felt so realistic and I was able to picture really being in Cupid’s factory where he manufactures arrows to make people fall in love. It was fascinating. The little details are what really made the whole thing seem so lifelike. I really liked the font that Dillon used as well. It fit the topic well. The second storybook that I investigated was Ravana by Sheeba Aga. The first thing that struck me was the deep purple they used as the background for the site. I thought it fit well with the “devil” theme. The introduction was really informative too. Sheeba did not use any terms that would have been foreign to me without defining them, and I really appreciated that. This topic is something that I am familiar with, but purely from the Anglo-Christian perspective. There were many terms and concepts that Sheeba used that were completely new to me and the introduction did an excellent job of showing those and elaborating on them. The third storybook I found, and my favorite out of the ones I explored, was Yama’s Tattoo Parlor by Melissa Bishop. The originality in this story was stunning. She incorporated so many gods and terms into a modern spa setting. Her writing was extremely engaging and it was very clever to elaborate on multiple stories by telling them in a beauty salon. I really enjoyed the layout of the website as well, it looked exactly as I would imagine the God of Death’s spa/tattoo parlor would look if it existed.

Yama on his buffalo, as shown in Yama's Tattoo Parlor
Web Source: Land of Yama

Storybook Sources:
Dr. Love
Ravana
Yama's Tattoo Parlor

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I looked over the storybook “Dr. Love” and I also liked it! I think the style of writing fit perfectly and was an interesting way of conveying all of the information regarding the various love stories mentioned. Although the writing did look interesting, I did not like it for two reasons. For one, it was different on each page, which made the site lack unity. I also had a difficult time reading the text on Savitri and Satyavan due to the impractical font. Otherwise, though, great premise for a storybook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Great choices of storybooks! I was also interested in the tattoo parlor, but I didn't get the chance to read it all the way through, and I ended up choosing other storybooks. I'll have to look into it now that you've described it so wonderfully. The Tales of Dr. Love also sounds interesting. I did not expect it to be about Cupid and his arrow factory, so that's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete