Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week Three Storytelling: Ravana's Redemption


         All the festivities were arranged for Ravana’s funeral. Many people, including Rama’s brother Lakshama, wondered if this was appropriate for Ravana. He humbly asked his brother, “Do you really think this is all necessary for the demon who captured your wife and killed many of your friends? His lust is incorrigible. His greed cannot be satiated. He lived for death and destruction, and his own arrogance brought him to his demise. Plenty of extremely wise counselors told him that you were not to be trifled with, and that it was a mistake to underestimate your might. He was regaled of tales of how you broke Shiva’s bow. He heard of you sending a single arrow through the trunks of seven robust trees. He had knowledge of you giving up your throne to fulfill your father’s ancient promise, and also of you killing Vali, who was thought to be indestructible. Do you know what Vibishana told us Ravana’s response was? Ravana responded, “Why are you lost in such admiration for Rama? Because he snapped the old rusty bow of Shiva? Or sent his arrows through the trunks of those seven decaying trees? Lost his kingdom because of a hunchbacked woman? Killed Vali without daring to come up before him? Lost his wife through a very simple trick that I tried? I am astonished that after all this he has not taken his own life but continues to breathe and move about! An indeed you are his admirer” Sire, I cannot allow myself to celebrate the life of a man who has said and committed such terrible crimes against the brother I owe my life and allegiance to.”
           Lakshama breathed in deeply to continue his rant, but Rama gently raised his hand and silenced him. Rama admonished, “Stop, you do not know what you are saying. What Vibishana said is probably true, but that is in the past, and there is no use in bringing up old words. Ravana, however terrible he was, was capable of awesome things, and accomplished significant acts in his lifetime. He deserves a place in heaven along with our brothers. You did not see, but I looked into his face when he fell from his chariot. I did not see the conceit and lust and rage and egotism that has characterized him for his entire life. That had fallen away. What I saw was a devout and pure soul, who achieved enlightenment and greatness despite his acts in his life. This is why I celebrate him. For who he was, not what he had done.” At this, Lakshama tried to insert humble protests, but again Rama raised his hand and simply said, “That is all I have to say on this matter. Rally the people. It is time I spoke of the great Ravana.”

Ravana, by Anant Shivaji Desair
Web Source

Author's Note:
This scene is not included in the original telling of the Ramayana. I was fascinated by Ravana’s death scene, which mentioned the absolute peace that fell across his face as he died. I also was interested in the kind manner in which Ravana was regarded in the Ramayana, despite his absolutely treacherous acts. He was described as devout and possessing fantastic ability, and I thought this was a very kind way of describing such a horrible demon. I chose to illustrate this disparity between actions and perceptions in the form of Rama and Lakshama. This also fit well into the way the two brothers are portrayed throughout the entire epic. Rama is calm and wise, always patiently seeing the good in people and taking a very humble approach to his achievements. Lakshama, on the other hand, is the muscle of the pair and has been known to have a quick temper when  it comes to the brother he has devoted his life to protecting. Lakshama represents the humanistic view of what Ravana was, while Rama represents a divine perception, focusing more on Ravana’s achievements, potential, and devotion to the gods, despite the horrible acts that he nonetheless committed on man, gods, and many other beings.


Sources: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana

5 comments:

  1. I love your story and how we really got to see how Rama and Lakshmana felt about the funeral processions. Your word choice in the story was fabulous; there were a lot of words in there that really struck me when I read it. I like how you stayed so true to Rama’s character with how humble he is, and how he seems to always see the best in people. Rama is all about justice and righteousness, and you really stayed true to that with his explanation to his brother as to why he believed that Ravana deserved a funeral fit for a god. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone were to have read your story, knowing absolutely nothing about the Ramayana, they would have gained much knowledge when reading your take on Rvana's funeral. You did a great job in showing how quick tempered Lakshama can be, and struck true to how humble Rama always was. You did not leave reader's wondering what Ravana had done over his life time, and what his response was when he heard that Rama was coming for him. I have tested your link on your image source, which works perfectly, and the font, spacing, and size of your text work well when reading on my web browser. I noticed your picture was aligned to the left of the page.. maybe I could suggest centering it? I feel for me, personally, it is more aesthetically pleasing. Otherwise the image correlates well with Ravana's story, and displaying how he was when he was alive. You did a great job on this story, and I cannot wait to return to see what else you have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this is the story that you chose to tell. I debated it, but decided to go a different way! I love the elaboration that you did with this story. Rama's character is shown so well in your writing. It shows the readers what a great person he is! It shows that even if people wrong us, we should respect them and treat them well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marielle! I'd like to start off by saying that your story is very well-written. It flowed smoothly and had a good use of vocabulary. I particularly liked it because of how you expanded on such a small scene and added detail to it to help us understand it better and bring a new perspective to it. I usually write my stories based on small scenes that I feel need to be emphasized with more detail, and you've done just that with this story, making it an enjoyable read.

    Aside from that, I think you did a good job with the format, font, and the picture. For the format, where I usually would say to space it out, especially when using dialogue just to make it easier to read, I think how you fit it into two paragraphs works well too. The font is simple and easy to follow and the picture ties well with the story. The link also worked perfectly. I will have to agree with one of the earlier comments and say that it would be better if you centered the picture rather than have it aligned to the left.

    Other than that, good job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting take on the interactions between Rama and Ravana. Your goal was to portray Rama as a pure soul, and I think you did quite well in this. I might work on the format of the story a bit more next time. The long quote from Ravana before his death is a little confusing because it does last so long. You might consider indenting next time, so the quote is set off more noticeably from the rest of the story. I am unsure if I would have realized that I was still reading a quote, had I not read the original story. Your picture is interesting. I noticed one of the heads is missing from the men down below, and I am wondering if that is due to Ravana stepping on the head. It is a good picture either way! I really enjoyed your story and I like that you expanded on a topic that was almost forgot in the original version. Great job!

    ReplyDelete