Monday, January 26, 2015

Storytelling Styles


I have decided to write about sexism in the Indian Epics. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I have taken many women and gender studies courses, and am a huge proponent of certain feminist ideals. As I was reading the Ramayana there were countless instances of male bias, but I found two in particular that I want to use. Firstly, Sita’s return to Rama after she had been abducted. Sita had done NOTHING wrong, and yet she was met with hesitation and judgment when she met her husband. She had abstained from any behavior that would have compromised her marriage, even though that would have made her life much easier. She was the epitome of a kind and nurturing wife, and yet even she was met with harshness after all the trials she went through. Another example is Ahalya. She was submitting to her husband, whom she had no idea was a stranger until halfway through, and once she found out it was too late and she continued to be raped. Instead of consoling his wife, her husband turned her to stone for centuries, after which time she was told to go submit to her husband again, that her past had been forgotten. HER past. I cannot imagine that there is not similar male bias in the other epic we will study.

            The first storytelling style that interested me was possibly doing a therapy session between a therapist and Sita. I have not decided who would be the therapist. Sita would be traumatized from her trials during her kidnapping and would tell the therapist of her story and then the therapist would console her and tell her of other women in the same situation

            The second storytelling style was to reincarnate Rama and let him try to treat Sita in a new form like he does her in the Ramayana., and do the same thing with all the other couples in the three other stories I do. I think I could have a lot of fun with a modern version of these stories, and let ancient male bias take on the modern lady.

            A third idea was to have all the women who were shown male bias be in a support group and send letters to one another explaining their tales and how it affected them and just let them vent to each other and support each other. This probably would be an emotional style, as I would bring out the women’s inner feelings that they could only reveal to someone who had been in the same situation as them.

            Finally, I could do the classic beauty salon setting. What better place would there be to vent about male bias then at a beauty salon? I think I would begin with Sita walking in and telling the owner that she needed a new hairdo for her blind date tonight. Obviously then the other women would ask what happened to Rama, and she could tell them the rocky story of their undoing due to his chauvinistic ego. This could be a lot of fun as well.
 
Rama and Ahalya, from the studio of Raja Ravi Varma. You can see Ahalya at the very moment that she is emerging from the stone.
Web Source

 
Sources: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana
 

No comments:

Post a Comment