Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reading Diary B: Kaikeyi's Complexity

I really enjoyed how Buck added on to Dasharatha and Kaikeyi's story. In this version Buck narrates how Kaikeyi tries to persuade the king to teach her the language of the animals. Both parties know the second that he shares this secret his life will end. It says a lot about Kaikeyi's character that she still tries to persuade the king to tell her this knowledge. This only adds to her selfish and reckless demeanor. I wonder if she really loves the king. It is obvious that the king loves her but I don't know if the same can be said about the reciprocal. I see Kaikeyi as a seductive evil temptress, who used her looks and body to swoon an older man. I think she thinks that she can get anything she wants through this form of persuasion. And the king. Honestly he strikes me as a weak old man. I know he promised Kaikeyi, but he let her exile his son and almost gives up his life to share with her the knowledge of speaking to animals. She eventually kills him, out of grief for his exiled son. Every man in this epic has been so strong, it strikes me that a king would have such a soft spot for a younger pretty wife.


Dasharatha grieves over Rama's exile
Web Source

2 comments:

  1. I found your opinion of Kaikeyi and the King to be very interesting! In my storytelling post, I conveyed her as selfish and manipulative and I also questioned the King’s decision making. I agree with you thinking that the King seems like a weak, old man. I feel like he should have been more selfish and not fulfilled Kaikeyi’s request so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more and your diary post more. I never look at the character the same way as you did. You said that when you look at the other men of the story they are strong. In the case of the King he is not, and it is quite surprising. It is a shame that he made the decisions that he did. I thought that your reading diary post was really informative.

    ReplyDelete