Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week Six


I read Buck’s version of The Ramayana this week and it really kind of changed me as a person. I read the introduction in Narayan’s version and how he had chosen not to include the ending where Sita is sent away and lives with the hermit Valmiki. I knew that Buck had chosen to include it in his version, and honestly I was not really looking forward to it. I saw it as ruining this perfect version of Rama that I had in my head and I did not want to see my favorite character, Sita, suffer like that. However, after finishing Buck’s version, I realized that I really liked that ending. It gave me a lot of closure. It showed some real heartache that lots of people go through every day. I also saw Rama as a more realistic person now. I do not agree with his decision, and I understand now that he had not lost his love for Sita. He did what he thought was best as a ruler, and I think he also saw himself as a self-sacrificer who was doing what Fate wanted and therefore he was staying on the path of Dharma. It was just so epically tragic. And I also found a whole new layer to Sita with this ending. She raised two boys without her husband, and instead of running back to her husband that sent her away the second she saw him, she returned to Mother Earth. I loved that ending. It was really sad, don’t get me wrong, but I thought it had such a rightness to it. I learned a lot from this epic, and I think it has so many messages that can be taken from it. I am glad I read the longer version, I thought it added new depth and layers to the story that it did not have before.

Sita and Valmiki, from Nina Paley's Sita Sings the Blues
Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment