Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Reading Diary B Week 5: Bharata's Reaction

One thing that really struck me in this part of The Ramayana was how this whole situation must have seemed to Bharata. I feel like everyone is focusing on Rama and his woes, which are indeed pretty serious. But I would honestly rather be exiled for 14 years and have two parents that love me dearly than to come home and find your father dead and cremated, and your mother the sole reason all of this has happened. Bharata lost a brother, a sister-in-law, another brother, a father, and a mother all in one day. That must have been catastrophic. And on top of that he is now expected to run a kingdom he was never meant to run with subjects that do not want him and resent him for what happened to their ruler. He really got the short end of the stick in this whole situation. A whole other book could be written on Bharata's life, and I would love to write a story and flesh this whole thing out. How did Bharata handle it? How did he feel? Did he ever forgive his mother? I do not know if I could, but when I think of my mother I do not think I could hate her. Just one of the thoughts that struck me.

Bharata and Rama
Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment