Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading Diary A: Arjuna and Krishna's Bond

I was struck by the intense bond of Krishna and Arjuna in this version of The Mahabharata. I thought their friendship was beautiful. Krishna remembers their past lives together, but Arjuna does not. However, Arjuna still recognizes the deep bond each one has for the other. This bond is used throughout their lives, specifically in the great battle. I like the idea of a great God like Krishna having such a close bond with Arjuna. I know Krishna is bound to his human form, and therefore has human emotions, but if that bond has always been there that must mean he is a loyal god. Krishna describes them as "one person, saying you are mine and I am yours. Who strikes you strikes me also. You come from me, and I from you, and there is no one who can understand the difference between us." This is a beautiful statement of friendship.

Arjuna and Krishna
Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment