Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Storytelling Week Thirteen: Arjuna's Reservations


You have got to be kidding me. When Urvasi had cursed me so many years ago, it just did not seem like a big deal. I know, I know. I should have thought more seriously about a woman cursing me to lose my manhood for a year. But at the time it just did not seem that important. Maybe I was caught up in the ambrosia. Let’s be honest, Indra knows how to throw a good party. He had all the finest girls dancing for me. They are such teases! After all the strain those women had put me through, losing my manhood for a year did not seem to bad. Don’t get me wrong, I was right to reject her. It was not right to have her. But did she have to be such a bitch about the whole thing? Still, there was no getting around it. Arjuna took a deep breath and called down Urvasi’s curse. He furrowed his brow and gritted his teeth, preparing for the pain he was certain would come with the absence of his penis. However, nothing hurt. Sure, he felt a slight tingle down there, but nothing to be concerned about. That happened when the wind blew wrong. Arjuna carefully looked under his robe, and almost gasped aloud. There was bare skin. And down there, something weird! Why, it was the parts of a woman! Arjuna smiled at the ridiculousness of it all, but then practical concerns came about. How would he urinate? Did women urinate? They had to. Arjuna was so preoccupied with these thoughts that he did not notice the gold cuffs that had formed around his wrists. He also did not notice how his defined muscles were shrinking down and becoming softer. And he certainly did not notice that long wisps of hair that were curling down his back to his now ample backside. But soon enough Arjuna did take notice of all these changes, and was as amazed as before. Why, he looked like a woman! But now, the weight of the whole situation began to set in. Actually, just the weight of this stupid hair began to set in. How did women do this? And in such pretty, ornate fashions. And then the weight of his earrings and jewelry set in as well. God, his ears felt like they were being pulled to the ground! And how the hell was he supposed to walk in this sari. Arjuna sighed a resigned breath, and began his long stumble towards the kingdom where his brothers resided.

Urvasi Curses Arjuna
Image Source

Author's Note: I found Arjuna's curse to be ironic and funny. That such a strong man would lose his manhood for an entire year struck me as something entertaining, but also very important, that simply was glossed over in both versions I have read of the Mahabharata. Therefore I decided to elaborate on the implications of becoming a woman, and also wanted to add some humor in. I think these are very real thoughts that a man would have if this kind of change happened to him.

Source: Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata

 

No comments:

Post a Comment