Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Storytelling Week 11: Draupadi's Disrobing


All I feel is my hair being torn out of my skull. I feel the tears running down my face and my single sari beginning to slip off my body. This could not be happening! I was a princess! I had never before been touched by a man who I had not wanted to touch me, much less been dragged along the floor like a sack of flour. What had my husband done? They had told me he had staked me in a game. But I was not gold or a cow or a piece of land. Could men really bet me like I was a piece of property? Duryodhana’s vile brother Duhsasana would pay for this. He threw me into a heap on the floor and I glanced up. My god, I was in the assembly hall! In front of everyone! And yet, everyone was allowing it. Not a single of the brave warriors or wise elders stood up and commanded that this abuse stop. My heart became numb as hopelessness sunk into it. If I was really Duryodhana’s now, he would make me a slave. A sexual treat to impress his visitors. Visions flashed before my eyes as I saw myself sweeping filthy rooms, getting on my knees for fat, old kings. Rage burned inside me. This would not stand. Then the words that imbecile Duryodhana was mumbling pierced through my head. Take off her robe. Suddenly my insides went ice cold. He would not. I knew he was vile, but this was beyond reason. There was absolutely no reason to disgrace me in this way. Yet, through my disbelief, I felt Duhsasana’s hands on my robe. I looked at my husbands, but they all had their eyes downcast. My brave Pandava’s, infamous for their skill in war, stared at the ground and would not save their common wife. Shame burned in me for them. These were not men. These were monsters. I did not know what to do. I closed my eyes and prayed. This is what I had done all my life when I had trials, and it is what I reverted back to this habit. I prayed and prayed to every god, and then Krishna illuminated my mind. I saw his smile, and knew, I was safe. I did not have to hear the exclamations of awe to know that Krishna had saved me, and my honor.
The Disrobing of Draupadi
Image Source
Author's Note: This was such a violent and heartwrenching story to me, and the entire time I was reading of this situation I was wondering what was going on in Draupadi's mind. Was she angry? Numb? Hysterical? I decided to incorporate a medley of emotions into her personal monologue, because I believe that is the most accurate of what a woman would feel.
Sources: Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata
 

3 comments:

  1. This was a crazy part in the story! I liked what you did with Draupadi's Monologue, and added what would probably be going on in the mind of modern day woman would feel. This part of the story is great because, the story could be told from many different peoples perspective. It can be told from Draupadi's point of view, Duryodhana's, or any of the Pandavas. Great job with your version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marielle,
    What a great story! It was a good idea to establish what Draupadi might have been feeling during this moment. I agree with you that she was probably shocked, and feeling a lot of different emotions. It's nice that you gave her a voice during a very violent moment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marielle,

    Wow! This is a great piece. As a female, I felt easily able to sympathize with Draupadi. You did a wonderful job displaying her mix of feelings (and those thoughts were probably accurate too).
    One correction I found is to add ‘to’ in front of stop (“Not a single of the brave warriors or wise elders stood up and commanded this abuse to stop”).

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete