Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reading Diary A: Different Priorities

I am really enjoying Buck's version of the Mahabharata. But I guess I was expecting him to focus on the same things as the much more condensed version, and he definitely didn't. It struck me as odd, that in the shorter version the author really described Draupadi's robe being unraveled, and this was a really crucial situation to me. But in Buck's version, it was only one or two pages. However, he did include a lot of side stories that I really enjoyed. I liked the one about Amba being reborn and turned into a man. I also liked at the end when the Pandava brothers were in the desert and Indra comes but the king refuses to go without his dog, who turns out to be Dharma.

Draupadi and the Pandava Brothers Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment